Tuesday, September 16, 2008

What I overhear in the library


As much as try to change the myth, evidently there still persists the idea that the librarian is just the lady who checks the books out and says "shush." I didn't get three college degrees just to wave the barcode reader around, people - take a hint. I know some things, and the most important thing I know (at least where you're concerned) is how to get the information you want. Every day I hear groups of students talking about homework problems and they never know I'm right behind them, waiting to help. I'd never barge right in, of course, because eavesdropping is rude. In my case it's unavoidable because you're right in front of me, talking loudly enough for me to overhear, but I still like to maintain the pretense of your privacy.

Just this afternoon some students were apparently trying to make up some sort of set of rules, a new Magna Carta or Ten Commandments, that kind of thing. The king-daddy of them all is the Code of Hammurabi, which dates back to about 1750 BC and is full of all kinds of interesting aspects of Bronze Age Mesopotamian life, a document so interesting law students continue to study it today. But did anyone ask me the question that would get that answer? No. Because I'm just the lady who checks the books out and says "shush."

I overhear other things, too, by the way. Just yesterday at assembly we reiterated that "retard" is a hurtful, disrespectful thing to say and it's especially offensive to people who care about someone with a developmental disability: a brother, a son, a cousin, even just a friend. The R word popped out again today, but I am happy to report that one student did the right thing and corrected the other.

No comments: