Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Russian around


This morning I had a request for information on Russian poetry. (The best-loved Russian poet, by the way, in popular view seems to be Pushkin.) In response to this, I did a search of our electronic resources and found four articles and printed them out. After that, I found 19 books in our catalog as well and checked those out to the student. I flagged a few of the most important resources, tucked the articles in a book, and left a note on top of the stack for her to find during her lunch period. Naturally the gracious young lady was grateful, and I appreciate that, but I'll let you in on a little secret.

THAT'S MY JOB. No, really, it is. What does a librarian do? Why, sit around all day, occasionally say "shush," and check books in and out. Actually, no. Librarians organize and provide access to information. It's just that a lot of our day is spent shushing and checking, which sometimes gets in the way of what we really love to do, which is help people find the information they want. So this morning I might have gone a little overboard, but it's only because I was so happy and excited to receive the request. So ask away! Tomorrow it could be you walking away with 19 books, four articles and a note!

No comments: