Wednesday, September 17, 2008

STOP EATING IN THE LIBRARY

Today I visited a few of you to kindly request you not consume Goldfish crackers and SweeTarts in the library. It's not because I'm anti-food. (In fact, if you've met me in person, you'll notice I seem to like it pretty well!) And, actually, I do happen to think nothing makes a good book even better than a crisp juicy apple or a stack of cookies with a glass of milk. Alas, it is not to be in the library, at least not this one. Silverfish, pictured here, are attracted to sugary, starchy foods and once they're done eating that, they move on to paper, glue and book bindings. You may think your crumbs are microscopic, but a) the silverfish are pretty small so that's a meal to them; and b) I find whole pretzels, orange peels, and entire candies all over the place EVERY DAY.

I realize we have a lot of meetings in here, and muffins and such seem to be an integral part of them, so this may seem hypocritical. But those muffin-filled meetings are usually populated by adults who can find a trash can for the remains rather than shoving them behind the Dictionary of the Middle Ages. Trust me, there is no library in the world that has a "Yeah, it's totally OK to hang out and eat chips around the books" policy. Even hard-core specialty libraries with students who never seem to go home have rules about eating near the books.

But here's a hint: check the book out, take it home, and I will never know you read it while eating Froot Loops. In your Superman underwear.

No comments: