Thursday, September 4, 2008

Library litter

If you've been in the library after school this week, you've seen me in my after-school jeans in the stacks, shifting the reference books around, weeding out old materials and dusting the shelves. What I'm finding tells a mighty interesting tale: although Out-of-Door Academy students do break rules by eating in the library, they seem to be doing so with relatively healthy snacks. I did find several foil candy wrappers, but the majority of the offenses this week were orange peels, a banana skin and some granola bar wrappers.

You're hungry, I get it. I'd like to think you're so caught up in what you're reading you can't bear to go outside, but I suspect it's more akin to laziness. When you leave behind wrappers, crumbs, orange peels, latte cups, whatever, it attracts our friends from the animal kingdom and they sometimes enjoy a book buffet by dining on the paper and glue. And if they're really hungry and you're kind of sleepy . . . who knows what you'll find crawling in your hair?

So stop eating in the stacks. Just step outside, finish your snack, and get back to that delicious book. If it's circulating you can even take it with you and read it in the sunshine under a tree.

No comments: