Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Finding my niche

As with any new venture, there's a period of settling in, meeting new people, getting the routine down. Here at Out-of-Door Academy there is an emphasis on excellence in academics, athletics and the arts, of course, but this being fall the athletic side of things is the most visible - right now I am watching the cheerleaders practice, saw a colleague bounding down the hall in shorts on her way to volleyball practice - and it leaves me feeling a little bewildered. Not the sporty type, you see. Don't get me wrong: I'm all for vigorous exercise in the fresh air, healthy sportsmanlike competition, and all that. I just don't like engaging in anything that involves me allowing missiles to be lobbed my direction at 30-plus miles an hour and that cuts me out of most extracurriculars.

Till now! Mr. Brewer announced today the school is looking into forming an Academic Olympics team. I helped my team make it to regional championships in both high school and college, and now, finally . . . here's a sport I can play! I hope there's a uniform. I mean, besides the regulation pocket protector.

No comments: