Friday, October 31, 2008

This is Halloween


I'm seeing some great costumes from the circ desk, both inside and outside the library. Alex just left, waddling around in his inflatable Sumo wrestler suit. A whole herd of cats went by, some fairies, a troupe of rednecks complete with rebel-flag tattoos, there's an inflatable elephant standing on its head somewhere, two angels, Laura as a gypsy, several cowgirls, all four Ninja Turtles, and my favorites: Nick and Taylor as the Mario Brothers, followed by Maria as Sarah Palin, a close second. (Nice suit - very authentic!)

There was some discussion at lunch among the faculty about whether we were more or less effective in our Halloween getups: Mr. N, who came as Sweat (and was accompanied by Miss E and Mrs. F as Tears and Blood, respectively) said he actually felt better sans tie, and I volunteered I felt more benevolent and terrible as the harvest goddess herself. But what about the students? Can actual learning happen when the head is under a halo, a cowboy hat, or a witch's peak?

The Greek philosopher in me says yes, not so much book-learning as perhaps a firsthand experience of what our ancient predecessors knew all along: sometimes you have to give Apollo a day off and let Dionysos take over. Furthermore, we do learn by doing. I forgot my sheaf of wheat today, one of Demeter's attributes. I kicked myself, but look at it this way - at least I knew enough to understand what I'd left out.

No comments: