Friday, October 24, 2008

Switcheroo


If you visit me at the circulation desk you will notice that I appear to be drowning in a sea of VHS tapes. I am, actually. I am trying to totally renovate our collection of video materials: get rid of what's just collecting dust, replace the old favorites with DVD versions, get new and exciting things for the future. Surely though, as I take things out of the collection and donate them or let people choose things to take home I will be criticized for appearing to just let go of a valuable resource. Believe me, I agonize over every title that I take out of the collection - what if I weed this thing someone was about to love? - but here's my criterion: if no one has checked it out it the last ten years, it goes. That's pretty generous, I think. If you really desperately want to hang on to a VHS copy of Shane, let me know and you can hoard it yourself. Otherwise, please understand that growth sometimes involves sacrifice, and the future looks bright (and easy to store on disk!)

No comments: