Friday, August 22, 2008

A powerful discussion

Today the whole campus gathered together in the Thunderdome to start the discussion of Bryce Courtenay's Power of One. After a brief introduction by the AP lit students, the student body broke out into smaller discussion groups facilitated by faculty. Here in the Savidge-Bowers Library Ms. Evans and Mr. Newhams welcomed comments and input about the nature of thinking with the head as well as the heart and how that can affect one's entire life. Lurking in the background at the circulation desk I was able to observe the transformative nature of powerful literature.

People assume librarians do what we do, say it with me now, "....because I love to read." In fact, I do love to read, but in the three days I have been installed here as the librarian I haven't read more than a short article or two at my desk. Librarianship isn't really about reading, per se, - look it up anywhere and you'll see that the real definition is the organization and management of information, as sterile as that sounds - but if there's one thing that's true it is that our central mission is to promote and shepherd along a love of the written word. Today only reinforced the choice I made five years ago to become a librarian.

No comments: