Monday, August 25, 2008

My evil plan is working!


This morning I announced the Reference Question of the Fortnight Contest and I am pleased to say that people seem to be getting into the spirit of it. The point of said contest is to encourage people to approach me with their questions instead of Google - it reinforces the purpose of libraries and librarians, and gives me a chance to show people what resources we have already, like science magazines, online databases, reference books and other materials. Google works sometimes, but:
a) it doesn't know or care if you're still confused
b) unless you really know how to do a targeted search, it gives you too many hits
c) not all the information it retrieves via the Web is really that worthwhile
d) you cannot win glow-in-the-dark vampire teeth by asking it your question

See? Ask me. Make me work for that paycheck. And of course, there's the Shakespeare nodders to consider, too.

No comments: