Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Turkey Bowl


Clearly we're one step closer to Thanksgiving Break, because Monday is Turkey Bowl Day here at Out-of-Door. All the teams are thinking up names, making the T-shirts, planning their strategy. I've never been a huge sports fan (surprise!) but I have to admit the energy is exciting, even infectious, and the tradition of team names is particularly enchanting. I'd list them here but I don't want to ruin the surprise. I was trying to explain Turkey Bowl to my husband last night, and it went something like this:
"Hey! Monday is Turkey Bowl at school! Everyone's talking about it! It's an annual tradition where all the classes get together on the quad and-"
"Bowl with turkeys?" finished Mr. Librarian.
"No," I said, "but that would be pretty great, too."
In fact, there actually is a scene in a Christopher Moore novel where stockboys at an LA grocery store bowl in the aisles with frozen turkeys after hours, but I don't see us recreating that any time soon, alas.

There are all kinds of myths and notions about the turkey, some of them substantiated, some of them not. Everyone seems to agree they're not too bright, but they sure are pretty. More so when roasted to a crackling bronze and surrounded by a wreath of fresh parsley, with apologies to vegetarians everywhere. Apparently a number of Native American tribes believed eating turkey would make you weak or cowardly, because the birds themselves were thought to be so. So, turkey is actually . . . chicken.

Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments: