Monday, November 24, 2008

FACULTY WIN TURKEY BOWL, 13-12


You heard it here first, folks: it was faculty against the seniors in a flag football match for the privilege of a dress-down day. And who's wearing jeans tomorrow? That's right: THE GROWNUPS.

This was the exciting conclusion to a day full of surprises. This is my first year here at Out-of-Door, thus my first Turkey Bowl, and the thing I witnessed today that impressed me more than anything else was the degree to which the students seem happy to humiliate themselves in the name of sportsmanship. I saw the Dougherty Authority wearing screaming pink T-shirts (and matching headbands, in some cases); One Love sporting Rasta caps with faux dreadlocks (and if you've never seen that on a freckled Irish lass of about sixteen, you really haven't lived); a team of brides and grooms in tuxedo T-shirts and white plastic tiaras; and a whole squad of Gaffinators in superhero blue with red capes. "I can't believe I'm getting paid to sit here and watch this," I said to my boss on my way out to the field. He pointed out that it is a teacher's salary, after all, but hey - some things are priceless, aren't they?

Including the right to wear blue jeans behind the desk, while I watch the troops roll in wearing their corduroy trousers with belts and collared shirts!

Need info on that other Turkey Bowl? Click here.

No comments: