Friday, September 4, 2009

Everyone's a critic

This week I visited the 10th graders in Mrs. Giraud's English classes to show off one of my favorite features of the new library software system. The new system allows readers to write and post book reviews of books we have in the library - readers can give up to five stars for "awesome," and can include a written review of up to 1,000 characters. After they get approved by me (of course), they get posted to the catalog for everyone's edification - bang, we're just like Amazon.

In fact, I want and need these reviews and so do other students. When I go to purchase something for the library, I read reviews on Amazon and in Booklist and other trade publications - if the reviews are uniformly bad, I don't buy it. On the other hand, if all reviews about this author or that one are glowing, sometimes I buy everything he or she has written.

So if you've got a favorite author, now is the time for your voice to be heard! Want help finding the "reviews" tab in the library interface? Ask at the desk. You knew that already, right?

No comments: